Hello everyone. I hope you all had a good Christmas and wish you all a Happy New Year in 2009. Hopefully, you didn’t party too hard last night and are able to read this post without too much trouble. Since New Years Eve is traditionally a time when people make resolutions for the new year I thought today I would put a fitness spin on this theme and post my fitness resolutions for the new year.
1) TO IMPROVE MY FLEXIBILITY:- I’m not naturally very flexible. I used to be very flexible in my mid-teens because I incorporated stretching into my daily routine. However, over the last few years stretching has taken a back seat to the other exercises I do. When I think about it my flexibility is the last thing I want to lose as I get older as it can really affect how mobile you are. I don’t want to struggle to put my shoes on, to get dressed or to reach things that are on the bottom shelf because I’m not flexible enough. To remedy this I plan to start making stretching part of my daily routine again. I’ve been doing it for the last couple of weeks and have noticed the improvements so hopefully in a month or two I will be back to my mid-teen level of flexibility. Plus, I will be doing some posts on stretching and improving your flexibility so that you guys can learn about the topic too.
2) TO DO MORE BODYWEIGHT TRAINING:- I like exercising in the gym which is fine. However, there are undoubtedly times when I will not have access to a gym. One such time was the past week when I went to visit my parents for Christmas. Even though I didn’t have any gym access I still wanted to some exercise so I put together my own simple bodyweight routine which I will be outlining in a future post. Surprisingly even though the weather was very cold I actually enjoyed doing this outdoor bodyweight workout. So now I want to become more knowledgeable in this area and learn more bodyweight training exercises. I will also be posting about this topic as I learn.
3) TO DO MORE RUNNING:- I used to be quite good at long distance running in my school days. However, since school I’ve been on and off with my running. This year I want to get more consistent with it. I think that by doing more bodyweight training this will help as I can build running into my routine.
4) TO ENTER A 10K RUN:- Hopefully as I do more running I will get to a level where I am good enough to be compete. When I feel ready I plan to enter a local 10K. Not only will this give me something to work towards but it will also add a competitive edge to my training.
5) TO BE MORE FLEXIBLE WITH MY TRAINING:- As I said above I like exercising in the gym. However, I understand that this is not the only training method out there. In fact there may be better methods out there that I neglect because I focus on gym work. Therefore I want to mix up my workout routine and try new things each month. This month I’m going to focus on bodyweight training then next month I will probably go back to the gym. The month after I will look at something new. By training this way it should improve my overall fitness and make my workouts more fun.
6) TO SLEEP MORE:- I’ve mentioned a few times on this blog that I always struggle to get enough sleep on week nights when I am working. Over the Christmas holidays I’ve had more free time and managed to get a full nights sleep. This has shown me the value of getting a good nights sleep. So during 2009 I’m going to be making a continued effort to get enough sleep every day of the week.
So there you have it. My fitness resolutions for 2009. I think overall I’ve led a relatively healthy lifestyle over the past year but these resolutions should give me a bit more variety and hopefully improve my fitness even further.
Now I want to hear from you guys? Have you got any fitness resolutions for the new year? If so leave me a comment.