Working in an office can be very challenging for your metabolism. A lot of the time you will find yourself sitting still rather than moving. Furthermore, there is an increased temptation to eat the wrong kinds of food in an office environment, with snack foods being readily available. In this article I discuss how office workers can help keep their metabolism operating at an effective level.
1) SMARTER EATING:- As I mentioned above there is an increased temptation in an office environment to eat the wrong kinds of food. Vending machines, co-workers bringing in cakes or going out for lunch are all potential temptations to eat poorly when in an office environment. To avoid these temptations you really need to prepare your food. Decide what you are going to eat in the office each day, prepare it and then take it in. It is OK to give in to the office treats from time to time but generally you must stick to your meal plans.
2) UTILISE YOUR LUNCH BREAK:- Your lunch break does not have to be just for eating. You can use it to get some exercise in too. Go for a walk or if your lunch break is long enough hit the gym.
3) DESK EXERCISES:- There are lots of desk exercises out there. The Free Fitness Tips email course details a number of desk exercises and if you do some simple research you can find many more. Even simple stretching can help.
4) WALK OR CYCLE TO WORK:- If it is feasible you should try and walk, cycle or run to work. This can make your commute to and from work a lot more beneficial for your metabolism. Plus, it should also save you money as you will not have to pay the daily travel fare or the associated petrol costs for your car.
5) CHOOSE THE LONGEST PATH:- If your job involves visiting other departments or buildings, use this to your advantage. Avoid the lifts and try to take the longest route within the given time constraints. Even an extra flight of stairs each day can help boost your metabolism.
The office environment is a particularly tough one on your metabolic rate. Since it is a relatively sedentary working environment a little creativity is required. However, by planning a healthy eating pattern and thinking about how you can be active throughout the day you can maintain or even improve your metabolic rate.